Yoshiwara is about seven miles from Hara. At first it was situated somewhat farther to the southeast, but in 1680 it was washed away by a tidal wave,
and two years later it was rebuilt farther inland. A section of the Tokaido near Yoshiwara was famous as the only place on the highway where travelers going from Edo to Kyoto found Mt. Fuji on their left. Hiroshige selected this point as the subject of the picture and carefully delineated the curve in the road that made this phenomenon possible. As in many other places along the Tokaido, the roadside was lined with pine trees.
There were intended to make travel more comfortable and at the same time to act as defense barriers in the These were intended to make event of war.