Fujisawa, which is about four miles from Totsuka, was famous in the Edo period as the location of the Yugyō-ji, a temple established in 1325, and as the approach to Enoshima, an island just off the nearby coast which could be reached on foot at low tide. The Yugyō-ji was one of the greatest centers of popular Buddhism along the Tokaido, while Enoshima was the center of the cult of a deity named Benzaiten. For this reason, the town was constantly thronged with religious pilgrims.
In Hiroshige's print the Yugyō-ji is seen at the upper right. The gate like torii that dominates the foreground marks the beginning of the road to Enoshima.